Monday, October 19, 2009

Chicken Pox

At the first of Sept. Colby had a friend come over to play. The next day his mom called to let us know he broke out with chicken pox. Of course, we thought nothing of it since my kids have had the vaccination.

On the night of Sept. 15, Chandler had some 'mosquito bites' on his back. Thinking not much of it, we put itch cream on them and called it good. The next day, I went on his class journey. I noticed he had a couple of more on his face. When I asked if they itched, he said they hurt. I asked him if we should have the doctor look at them. He said no, he was fine. That afternoon, I sent him off to scouts and then we had a Bishopric social that night. After we got home, Casey's mom came over to give me a birthday gift. I showed her his back and noticed two looked suspicious of something, maybe chicken pox. So the next morning I took him to the doc. Sure enough, classic case. However, he wasn't sick no fever of anything to make me think he actually had them. What a great mom I exposed his entire class to the chicken pox!I stopped at his school to inform his teacher (apologizing like crazy). She was completely understanding. I emailed the room mom so that she could send out a mass e-mail to the other parents. Then I had to call parents from his scouts to let them know as well. Only one mom seemed a little upset.

He got to stay home from school Thur, Fri, and Mon. He was bored only on Friday did he have homework (8 pages) to catch up on. His friend had dropped off papers Thurs. night. It was a free school vacation because he wasn't sick, felt good, but couldn't be around others.




I have since found out that Colby, Shelby and Shyann's school is having a chicken pox epidemic. They have had 27 students with chicken pox and one 6th grade teacher. In most cases the students have had one vaccination shot. The health dept. has now told the school that the children who have not had the vaccine can attend school for 9 days after being exposed and then must be out of school for 12 days. Can you imagine being the person to make the phone calls? It has hit the 5th and 6th grades the hardest. Very interesting!

0 comments: